Friday, November 12, 2010

Missing Rose - Kayıp Gül



Recently I picked this book up on my way back from Turkey - "Kayıp Gül" or "Missing Rose" by Serdar Özkan. I finished the entire book on one 3 and half hour plane ride. It has been translated into 39 different languages and is available in over 50 countries. Described in the book and on
the website (Available
here) as :

Compulsory reading for all who are thrilled by The Alchemist, The Little Prince and Jonathan Livingston Seagull.”

Air Beletrina - SLOVENIA

it is a book that was close to my heart. Set in San Francisco and in Istanbul it is a novel about the spiritual and personal journey of a young woman in her 20s. Yes, many see the Alchemist as cheesy, but it it is loved for the very reason that it does make us feel uplifted and inspires us to do more with our life and try to discover what we really want to do in this short but sweet life. This book does the same thing - it makes us question our motivations and our decisions. It allows us to truly remember that 'better late than never'. I would recommend this book to anyone of all ages who enjoy a bit of fantasy and are open to new ideas!

One chapter got me thinking about the observation that the protagonist makes (don't worry this is not a spoiler!) - If you entered a cafe and ordered two of your favourite cookie but they only had one so they put another cookie next to it on a plate - would you eat your favourite one first or second?

I decided I would eat mine second, but might take a bite from it first! (Delayed gratification versus instant? or wanting to seize the day versus being too full to eat the second?) If you have any thoughts or comments feel free to leave them! I'd be interested to know.



2 comments:

Catherine Winston said...

hmmmm def eat it second you want the taste of that one to last :))))

Zohra said...

One of my abıs just recommended it to me, and I found your blog when I searched for the title in Google. I like your writing :).