Monday, September 19, 2011

The day I learnt to keep my mouth shut – whilst cycling.

So, a little update for everyone. My life in Palafrugell has been quite pleasant so far; as I don’t start work for another week or so I’ve been settling in, going to the beach, discovering my local cafes and the surrounding area. I was taken out to lunch by an English couple for Chinese which was lovely and have been playing guitar with some of the people in the nearby bar. I even cooked Turkish meatballs for the customers one day – they went down well.

Today’s story however, is about how I cycled for 6.5 km from a little village called Pals to Palafrugell. Pals is an antique town with a modern side to it too as well as a vast open beach where people go to wind surf and fly their kites. There’s a beautiful shop in the antique area called L’era d'en Saulot that my coordinator at the school runs. The shop sells local produce ranging from cheese, wine and honey as well as promoting local artists and writers.

It is here where I acquired a bike. Very kindly I have been lent a bike for a year so I can cycle around town and to the surrounding areas. (There are a very extensive bike routes all around this area that pass through fields/forests etc.)

So, I was dropped off at Pals, very kindly by one of the teachers of the school and decided I would have a little adventure on the way back and cycle through the fields back to my home town. I have photos to share with you when I have access to the internet. The ride was very pleasant and I have definitely missed feeling the wind on my face as I bike through fields and forests. I did learn a few lessons though.

Lesson no. 1 – Do not open your mouth at any time. Keep it shut. Seriously. Flies and other winged insects will find a way to aim at your mouth and enter. You will temporarily feel the sensation of chocking as you try hard to steer the bike in the direction you want. Preferably straight.

Lesson no. 2 – Do not cycle through sand. It’s impossible.

Lesson no. 3 – Whilst biking do not creep up on the people in front of you and say “PERDON” to catch their attention so you can ask for directions. Install a working bell on your bike.

These are my first lessons that I had somewhat forgotten as I haven’t been properly biking for two years because of living in London.

So, for other words of wisdom of lessons learnt from biking, keep your eye on this blog.

No comments: